Iowa School for the Deaf Outreach Services and Iowa Department of Education hosts two free Zoom Deaf Awareness Month events in September. Voice and ASL interpretation provided at both events.
1. Wednesday, Sept. 22, 1-2 p.m.
For high school students who are deaf or hard of hearing: How Did a Deaf Guy Get Elected? The Gary Malkowski Story
In this live, one-hour interactive Zoom, former Deaf Canadian politician Gary Malkowski describes his rise to political success, sharing inspirational messages and advice. Teens in the Zoom will relate to his frustrations, victories, and learn how perseverance resulted in a prestigious position with the Ontario Provincial Parliament. No registration required. Click HERE for Sept. 22 Zoom link.
2. Monday, Sept. 27, 6.30 – 8 p.m.
For families and the community: How Did a Deaf Politician Get a Book Written About Him?
In this free Zoom event, Deaf Politician Gary Malkowski’s story continues, this time joined by his biographer, Richard Medugno. Richard raised a deaf daughter who is now an ASL teacher at Iowa School for the Deaf. Richard is the author of Deaf Politician and Deaf Daughter/Hearing Father. Gary and Richard will share views on raising children who are deaf or hard of hearing, the importance of language access and more during this presentation/Q&A event. No registration required. Click HERE for Sept. 27 Zoom link.
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about presenters Gary Malkowski and Richard Medugno and articles by Richard Medugno:
- Deaf Politician – The Gary Malkowski Storyhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/richardmedugno
- Richard Medugno Blog https://richardmedugno.medium.com/how-did-a-deaf-guy-get-elected-62a7b590932f
- A Silent Path To Political Success The story of Ontario’s first Deaf Member (page 8-11) https://ontafp.com/assets/newsletters/Fall_2020_OAFP_pdf
- Canadian Parliamentary Review Journal ( April, 2021) Democracy Dialogues: Empowerment through Accessibility: Toward Inclusive Democratic Engagement http://www.ca/en/democracy-dialogues-empowerment-through-accessibility-toward-inclusive-democratic-engagement/
- Review of “Deaf Politician: The Gary Malkowski Story” by Richard Medugno (2020)By Dr. Kristin Snoddon https://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/php/cjds/article/view/740/999
- Gary Malkowski Commencement Speech at Gallaudet University ( May, 2011) https://apps.npr.org/commencement/speech/gary-malkowski-gallaudet-university-2011/
- Deaf Ontario Now (Short Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsFGLKCY_qU